Home5GPhilips Lighting targets smart lighting market in China

Philips Lighting targets smart lighting market in China

Philips will work with Xiaomi to develop smart lighting for the device-maker’s smart home platform

 

Philips Lighting aims to expand its presence in the Chinese market through a joint venture agreement with Chinese mobile internet firm Xiaomi.

Under the terms of the smart home lighting JV, both firms will design and develop LED smart lighting for Xiaomi’s wireless smart home platform, including apps for controlling the lights both via Android and IoS-based smartphones.

The co-developed products will be sold through Xiaomi’s retail channels. Xiaomi is already selling several smart LED luminaires especially designed and produced for Xiaomi by Philips Lighting.

Philips Lighting will own 70% of the joint venture, while Xiaomi will control the remaining 30% the financial terms of the operation were not disclosed.

“In the coming months, Xiaomi customers using its smart home ecosystem will be able to choose from an even broader family of well-designed connected LED luminaires that work flawlessly on the Xiaomi platform,” said John Wang, the Philips Lighting market leader for Greater China.

“By contributing respective advantages from both companies, Xiaomi and Philips Lighting will provide customers with the best smart lighting solutions through this cooperation,” said Liu De, Xiaomi’s co-founder and Head of Mi Ecosystem.

Nokia, StarHub carry out 5G cmWave demo in Singapore

Also in APAC, Finnish vendor Nokia and Singapore telecommunications operator StarHub have carried out a demo of 5G centimeter wave technology using the Nokia AirScale platform.

The technology delivered mobile broadband with a speed of 4.3Gbps and a latency of 1 millisecond.

The Asian telco carried out this demo as part of its ongoing trials of future technologies to facilitate virtual reality, augmented reality and e-health applications.

The demo was conducted at StarHub’s headquarters. “5G, while still a distance away, will become reality in the time to come. Through our ongoing trials of new technologies such as Nokia’s integrated AirScale solution, we are exploring how we can use 5G technologies to enrich the lives of our customers,” Chong Siew Loong, Head of Network Engineering, StarHub, said.

“Nokia AirScale allows service providers to lay the foundation for the programmable world of the future. It enables service providers to roll out best-in- class services and differentiate without significantly increasing their expenditure. We look forward to partnering StarHub on their journey to 5G,” Nicolas Bouverot, head of Asia South at Nokia, said.

digitalization
Previous post
Avoid disruption: adapting business models to digitalization
Next post
The elements required for IoT and a 5G network